Welcome to the life and times of Graphic Results.

Hope you find our thoughts, ideas and the stories of life running a business and balancing family life with the children ( Jack and Lucy) interesting, fun and useful. Set up in 1998,Graphic Results offer graphic design, web design, marketing and printing. We work with clients from start-up's,SME's to major PLC's, from the private sector and public sector.
Regards Liz and Mike

Wednesday 6 January 2010

A Quick History of Graphic Results...

Liz and myself set Graphic Results up in 1998 in the back bedroom of our house.It came about as Liz had worked in graphic design and packaging design for the likes of Holland and Barrett, Asda in Leeds and then for chocolate company Thorntons and was after several glasses of wine Liz said "I cannot do another Father's day promotion". At the time I was working for a recruitment agency as the sales and marketing manager, and with no children my salary covered the costs of living. So on the 7th of August 1998 Graphic Results was born. Liz hit the road running and our first client was a well known pottery company and today they are still a major client.After about 3 weeks of setting up I could see that Liz was only spending about half her time designing and the rest of it running around looking after clients, so we decided it was time for me to leave my job and join the business. So within 6 weeks we had gone from two salaries to no salary.We played at it for about 6 years, making a living and having time for the children. Clients would ring me on my mobile and would ask where are I was and often the reply was " I'm on the park". The business grew but when you have most of your house used for the business and share an office with my daughter and her cot its's time to move the business. We moved the business into a unit in Belper, had the usual battle with BT re telephone and broadband. We then decided to recruit and that's another major story. After about 18 months we outgrew the unit and moved to a bigger unit, had again the BT issues only this time we made BBC news about it! We then grew the team. In 2009 in a moment of madness ( my idea not Liz's)  just before the deepest recession since 1930 we expanded the business and opened Chesterfield. A very short history in the life of Liz, Mike and Graphic Results.